The role of the 'firefighter cows' or the 'firefighter sheep' is very…
Cabrandalucía has celebrated the twelfth edition of the National Goat Forum in Aracena on June 30 and July 1, in a mixed format, combining face-to-face and virtual training. Under the title “The regeneration of a resilient sector”, different gatherings, debates and presentations have been held that have highlighted the resilience capacity of the different production systems of the goat sector in the face of global change.
24 speakers and moderators have analyzed the way forward to become a sustainable and profitable sector. 34 companies and entities have supported this event that has become the reference forum that the sector needs.
We summarize some of the interesting conclusions of this forum in different sections:
Resilience in goat farming
- In the current trend of zero antibiotic residues, it is necessary to recover traditional knowledge and investigate the use of phytotherapy to prevent and treat diseases in goats.
- Artificial Intelligence will play a fundamental role in decision-making in goat farms.
Goat farming is taking steps to improve GHG emissions by improving management, food quality and the microbiota, which is responsible for rumination. In addition to recognizing the role of some goat systems as a carbon sink.
- Reproductive planning and control are essential for improving the profitability of farms
- The export of production models of other species (cattle, pigs or rabbits) where the males have disappeared from the farms and all the females are inseminated could help farm planning.
- A change of chip must be established in the use of medicines both in farmers and in the veterinarian through training and management.
- The Spanish livestock sectors have already made a great effort to reduce medicines, being a benchmark at European level.
- The improvement of the diet with essential amino acids allows a significant increase in the economic benefit of dairy goat farms.
- Since mid-2020, prices have increased, more critically at the end of 2021 and 2022, a total of 75% of the feed. The reasons for this rise have been: climate change, the injection of liquidity decreed by the world’s central banks as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the national market for cereals and legumes below average due to the drought, speculation in the raw materials market currently having an oversold market, China’s buying above normal in recent years, the war in Ukraine and the rise of the dollar in the foreign exchange market.
- The future is uncertain, although a certain drop in prices is in sight.
- There is a problem of recognition of the functions of livestock that performs for society, the farmer must talk about himself.
- The goat sector has to continue with its professionalization process.
- The solutions to improve the profitability of goat farms are aimed at: payment of ecosystem services, improvement of income from the CAP, management (health, food, facilities and production), having data to make decisions and associationism.