The iSAGE project involves 34 partners from: Greece, Finland, France, Italy, Spain, Turkey and the United Kingdom of which 17 belong to the industry and 17 to research institutions.
The main objective of the iSAGE project is to improve the global sustainability and innovative capacity of the sheep and goat sector in Europe. This objective will contribute to increasing the efficiency and profitability of the sector and its acceptance in society.
To achieve these objectives, iSAGE incorporates industry partners together with a multidisciplinary team of researchers from research institutions in 7 EU countries to develop new socio-economic, animal welfare and sustainability assessments for the complete supply chain.
iSAGE (Innovation for the sustainability of sheep and goat production in Europe) is a 4-year project funded by the H2020 Research Program of the European Union.
One of these workshops was held in Zaragoza, at the Mediterranean Agronomic Institute.
Dates: December 10-13, with three different activities:
- A Training Course (December 10-11), aimed at technicians in the sector, extension services, associations, young researchers, professors of technical training centers, people involved in the management of companies and organizations in the sector and in advising farmers .
- A Field Visit (December 12), organized by the Oviaragón Cooperative, which is a member of the project.
- A Dissemination Workshop (December 13), aimed at a wider audience that can be users of the results of iSAGE, including farmers, representatives of the farmers, officials of the administrations, and also technicians of the sector and other possible stakeholders.
Topics that were discussed:
- Evaluation of the sustainability of farms, tools and results in the project countries.
- Challenges for the sectors: climate change and socio-economic and consumer trends.
- Marketing: studies of consumers and their needs, product development, good practices in value chains.
- Predictive models in farms and adaptation scenarios to the challenges.
- Participatory research and development of innovations. Sample of examples developed by the project in different areas: data and herd management, genomics, reproduction, pastures, participatory development in organizations and brands, etc.
- Evaluation of the impact and adaptation of climate change, design of production systems and integration of innovation and adaptation strategies.